Healthy Holiday Spine
With the hustle and bustle of the holidays, there is much to be easily neglected when it comes to health, including basic spine care. Lifting heavy, awkward boxes, putting up decorations, extensive shopping, holding and playing with kids, and participating in extraneous activities outside of your normal schedule can all contribute to one of the top medical complaints in the United States: low back pain.
Here are a few reminders to keep your spine merry and bright:
• Lift with your legs (not your back). This means lowering your body vertically, keeping the object close to your body. Do not bend over at your waist to lift a child, box, or even a turkey from the oven!
• Use a step stool to deck the halls with boughs of holly. Reaching too far beyond your natural ability can cause back pain later.
• Stretch before performing any activity you don’t normally do. Hold stretches for 15-30 seconds. Also, if you don’t have time to exercise, try to at least make time for stretching to prevent future injuries and maintain flexibility.
• Ladies-leave your Santa-bag-sized purse at home when shopping for long periods! Opt for something smaller to avoid shoulder, neck, and back pain.
• If you experience pain, apply ice for 20 minutes. Wait at least 20 minutes before re-applying. Repeat several times a day as needed for relief. We also have Bio-Freeze available in our office, which helps to ease inflammation and “cool” muscle tension. If you’re in a pinch and our office is closed, there is an “over-the-counter” version available in some drugstores now as well.
We want you to enjoy the holiday season as it was meant to be, so please don’t hesitate to ask us about any concerns or questions you have regarding your health. We always hope you remain pain and stress-free, but remember we are here to help through the holidays if you need an adjustment or massage!
Drs. Nick & Delphine Deignan
3143 Western Row Rd.
Mason, OH 45039